Greetings from NUI, Normandy.

The 25th June was the last of the season SFD before the huge Regional
gathering hosted by the city of Rouen on 10th September, then
International SFD 17th September.

The weather was depressing, it was the first Saturday of Summer, but
no sun at all…Anyway with openSUSE, we usually have fun without the
sun, right!

When doors opened, we normally have a massive crowd that gives a hint
of the day. This time, despite the usual tam-tam/powwow, smoke
signals, whatever it was us and us.

I started to think, either everything was working fine or there was no
interest in Linux (in general).

I therefore checked what activities were going on in other clubs,
Chess, zumba, cooking, yoga, miniatures, bridge and they were
experiencing same sort of attendance. Then miracles started to happen.
A corporate admin needed a few tweats (Bluetooth), firefox issues etc.
arrived on his motorbike, then came, our Greek lady with libreoffice
files issues. A lady had lost her password. An old acquaintance
monopolized me for more than one hour with Adobe issues.

A visitor wanted collaborative software for NGOs in Africa. I had in
the past installed a software for sharing documents, chat, organize
meetings and I did not see any of us flying in Africa to maintain free
software in countries at war of that can start war for silly reasons….
But I offered to train him. I also pointed him to open365.org The
teacher came to check latest tricks, I had a couple who thought that
we were running a cybercafé and needed to check their emails. I had
someone to chaperon them, just in case. Mind you, a gentleman walked
in at around 18:00 and wanted to check his email too. Maybe I should
put a sign outside: Free Internet! Two engineers (Ex coworkers at
ENGIE) came especially from Paris to check SUSE. One of them brought
his 5 year old daughter and 10 years son, those two I will not count.

Anyway, we gave out something like 9 visiting cards to curious people
passing by and wanted to know what we were doing and received firm
promises of visiting next academic year. i;e; September next. I also
had a guy walking in and looking around at the screens and when I
stood up to go and greet him, he sort of sped up his pace and went
out. Including the last strange visitor, we had only 22 visitors, not
our best attendance. I will put this down on Euro 2016. Portugal /
Croatia playing that evening.

I will start marketing September events this month. We also have our
dates up to December 2016.

Peace,

Jimmy