Last Friday we organized a rather big launch party for Leap 15.1 at a
professional school in Gran Canaria (Spain).

See pictures at
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YSpmFBE3oKqf7M1z5

Although it was targeted mainly to teachers and students of the Computer
Administration and Software Development courses, the event was open to
everyone. As it can be seen in the photos, it was pretty well attended
(around 80 people).

Most of the Canary SUSE Mafia was there[*] (Saray, David Kang, David
Díaz, Iván, Imo, Xabi, Rubén and Knut) and we installed openSUSE in
around 10 computers and answered many questions about openSUSE, Linux
and Free Software.

To make it more interesting, we turned it into some kind of
mini-openSUSE Conference in Spanish, with several presentations about
Linux and Free Software. And to make it more fun, we invited local
speakers from Red Hat and GNU Health.

There were talks about:

- Presentation of Leap and the event itself
- Free Software for a Living
- Crash course of cloud administration (by Red Hat folks)
- Configuration management with SaltStack (by Imo)
- Ruby on Rails 101 (by Saray and David K.)
- Virtualization in Linux for gaming and more (by Rubén)
- Version control with Git (by Iván and David D.)
- Continuous integration in Tumbleweed (by me)
- Free Software in the public health system (by Gnu Health)

We also had some merchandising to give away:

- Tons of stickers (they worked very well)
- Five plush chameleon (people LOVE them, they fight for them)
- 20 backpacks
- Other random stuff

Thanks Douglas for providing the merchandising. It made a difference.

All the attendees and the invited speakers were very thankful for the
event at all levels, so I think we can call it a success.

Cheers

[*] Thanks to all of them for organizing the event and to SUSE for
allowing them to be there the whole day (it was a working day).
--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH