Dear Robert,
dear listmembers,
> > Call the directory /lib/modules/persistent from the very
> begin. Maybe
> > one would like to use persistent-default / persistent-bigsmp.
>
> This does not work because it does not allow installation of
> multiple kernels with different ABIs.
well, how would this work right now? The packages provided binary are provided
for one single kernel, probably for default / bigsmp, that's about it.

The question is: why make the majority of people using a single kernel
configuration suffer from a somewhat exotic concept of people using different
kernels in parallel (rumor on the list ;-))?

In my understanding the SuSE concept is straightforward and monolithic to a
certain point: you get a kernel with the distribution, you use it, you may
upgrade "in line", but just try to upgrade from i.e. 2.6.11 to 2.6.13, a decent
part of things like the automount functionality (among other discrepancies) is
gone because things do not match any more.

If you want to do what you suggest you will have to rebuild all the kernel
module extra packages from scratch for the new kernel anyway, no improvement
here. The current concept does not work for this either.

I can only support what Herbert Graeber said. But as initially stated, these
are just my 2 cents here :-). We won't solve the issue here.

Take care

Dieter

HARMAN BECKER AUTOMOTIVE SYSTEMS

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza