We're working on having Xen 3.2 released soon.  We at Xensource have
been in the habit of providing binary packages for various
distributions and at the moment OpenSUSE 10.3 probably looks like one
we would like to support in that way.

It seemed to me that the best approach would be, where possible, to
use a distro's own packaging setup.  That would be more likely to
generate packages which integrate well with the distro and behave more
like the distro's own Xen packaging arrangements.

I haven't looked at the OpenSUSE Xen srpms in detail but would that be
a reasonable starting point for generating our 3.2 binary rpms ?

Also, while I'm here: I've been having quite some difficulty getting a
working OpenSUSE Xen guest install.  Is there a recommended procedure
for this when the host is not OpenSUSE ?  (In my case the host is
Debian etch.)

For many other distributions there are ways of running what amounts to
a port of the installer directed at a filesystem tree, but just as a
normal program on the host; so for example with Fedora and Centos one
uses rinse, and for Debian derivatives debootstrap does the job (and
all of these tools seem to be readily portable).  Is there an
analogous tool for OpenSUSE ?

In the absence of such a utility I've been trying to install OpenSUSE
as an HVM (fully virtualised rather than paravirtualised) guest but
have been having serious trouble: so far a couple of annoying bugs in
the Xen emulations (which I've got past) and now I have a bug where
the installer's kernel gets very upset with the emulated IDE
controller.

Is installing OpenSUSE as a Xen HVM guest (or indeed as a PV guest)
expected to work ?  Can it be sensibly done without the use of
difficult-to-port hostside management tools from OpenSUSE ?

Regards,
Ian.