Hi Jean,

thanks for your answer, comments inlined below.

Am Freitag, 14. Dezember 2007 schrieb Jean Delvare:
> Hi Hans-Peter,
>
> Le vendredi 14 décembre 2007, Hans-Peter Jansen a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > from time to time, some of my rpmbuilds bail out during "make" run,
> > which boil down to Makefiles created on the fly with commands
> > containing "cd", because that echos the new path into the generated
> > Makefile, rendering it invalid.
> >
> > E.g.: (excerpt from hylafax/man/Makefile.in)
> >
> > cman.apps/Makefile: ${DEPTH}/defs cman.apps ${MANCAPP}
> >         ${RM} -f cman.apps/Makefile
> >         (${ECHO} '#!smake';
> > \ ${ECHO} 'DEPTH=../..';                                         \
> > ${ECHO} '@MAKEINCLUDE@ @[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]@';\
> > ${ECHO} 'install:';                                            \ (cd
> > cman.apps; for i in *.1; do                                \
> > f=${MANCAPPNAME};                                           \ ${ECHO} '
> >   $${INSTALL} -m 444 -root $${INSTALLROOT} -F $${MAN}/$${MANAPPS} \
> > -idb $${PRODUCT}.man.client -src' "$$i" '-O' "$$f";     \ done);
> >                                                  \ ${ECHO};
> >                                            \ ${ECHO} 'uninstall:';
> >                                      \ (cd cman.apps; for i in *.1; do
> >                               \ f=${MANCAPPNAME};
> >                     \ ${ECHO} '   $${RM} -f $${MAN}/$${MANAPPS}/'"$$f";
> >           \ done)
> >    \ )>cman.apps/Makefile
> >

> > Since similar sequences can be found in the other packages as well.
> > I wonder, why I suffer from this occasionally, but most of you
> > seemingly not. Before I start digging into the bash source, I thought,
> > I try to get some expert advice.
> >
> > Does that issue rings a bell for anybody?
>
> "cd" doesn't echo anything by itself. Do you have an alias that does
> it for you maybe?

Unfortunately not:

~> alias cd
bash: alias: cd: not found

~> env | grep CD
CDPATH=.:~:/usr:/mnt

That was the culprit. Unsetting it did the trick. Will take the minor loss
in convenience by jettisoning it.

Such a strong side effect should be documented in bash man file, or even
better, fixed in code, me thinks.

Pete