On lundi, 4 juillet 2016 18.22:06 h CEST Ciro Iriarte wrote:
> > Ciao!
> >
> > On Sun, 2016-07-03 at 17:07 -0400, Ciro Iriarte wrote:
> >> Xenserver/ESXi/Proxmox/Acropolis are out because of software R6 and
> >> having a single host,  so I'm turning to openSUSE. I've worked a lot
> >> with Xen years ago but I understand the guys that get all the
> >> attention these days are KVM and docker, and Xen might be a second
> >> class citizen.
> >>
> >> Given I would like:
> >> - Software R6 on the host
> >
> > Not sure what that is...
> >
> >> - Virtualization nesting
> >
> > KVM has some nested virtualization support, depending on your hardware.
> > See this blog post for some help on it:
> >
> > https://kashyapc.com/2012/01/14/nested-virtualization-with-kvm-intel/
> >
> >> - PCI passthrough
> >
> > Both Xen and KVM can do it.
> >
> >> - Some permanent VMs
> >> - Lots of temporary VMs
> >>
> >> Would you suggest to go with XEN or KVM or Virtualbox in this specific
> >> scenario at this point in time?, can I assume docker will place nice
> >> with any of them?.
> >
> > I would suggest KVM + virt-manager + libvirt. If you need a web UI, you
> > can
> > also try Kimchi. Docker has a different use case than a plain old VM:
> > docker can't do system containers and you would only have one app in one
> > container... and remember containers aren't secure, you need to put them
> > in a VM to be on the safe side ;)
> >
> > Hope that helps,
> >
> > --
> > Cedric
>
> Thanks for your comments, by R6 I was refering to BTRFS on raid 6 +
> disk encryption. This box will works as a NAS also.
>
> Regards,

Not sure about btrfs choice for storing image you will have to use the nocow
plus I'm not certain that raid especially the level 6 is mature enough on
btrfs ( regarding its difficulties to maintain itself up and running without
assistance )

Software raid6 is still cpu expensive, for myself I'm using a good hardware
controller and which handle raid6 + battery in case of crash.

The system is then build around lvm (each vm has its own).

my 0.05 Sfr cts ( +/- 0.02 cts € ) ;-)

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch