Hi,

let me first describe my setup (and you can also give me arguments if
there are better ways to achieve that) first:

I'm running a virtualization host using libvirt/kvm/qemu on openSUSE
Leap 42.1.
The host system is based on LVM and when I create guests I always create
one LV for every mountpoint I'm using within the guest.
(like /dev/system/GUEST_root, /dev/system/GUEST_var)
>From within the guest I just create one primary partition on those
virtual disk.
I basically do it this way because I did it with Xen since quite some
time that way because it gave me rather easy possibilities to grow
partitions w/o using LVM also within the guest.

Now I'm struggling with resizing/growing certain virtual
disks/partitions though.

I'll explain what I'm doing and if you know better ways just let me know:
- on the host: lvresize -L+10G /dev/system/GUEST_var
- on the host: parted /dev/system/GUEST_VAR ; (print free); resize 1 XGB
Now my LV and partition should be resized
- on the guest: try to just do "resize2fs" (my default FS is ext4)

This fails because the guest does not know about the changed partition
table.
I tried several recommendations like
- partprobe
- rescan-scsi-bus.sh
without success.
I also finally rebooted the guest (no stop/start but "reboot" command).

Still the size of the partition listed by fdisk the the previous smaller
one.

What do I need to do to let the guest know about the changed partition
table? I would expect at least non-root FS can be changed online.

If a "reboot" is not enough, would stop/start fix it? (This is a
production machine. I cannot easily test that w/o further maintenance
windows.)

How do others handle that usecase? Is there an easier/better way to
manage filesystem sizes online?

Thanks,
 Wolfgang