On 3/20/06, houghi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 09:42:44AM +0100, Mikael Sundmark wrote:
> > The Swedish (SV) openSUSE.org http://sv.opensuse.org was "launched" on
> > Friday, so a new language site added to the list
> > of present openSUSE sites; English, French, Spanish and German.
> >
> > Should we announce this in any way or what is the process.
>
> It would be nice to have such things on the frontpage of the existing
> languages as a newsitem. It shows that openSUSE is working on
> internationalisation and can be used to promote it and ask for more
> people to join. Either with existing languages or with new languages.
>
> It would be a great oportunity to explain where we are now and what has to
> be done. The numbers:
> Number of living languages, worldwide: 6,809
> Number of "nearly extinct" languages: 417
> http://www.ppionline.org/ppi_ci.cfm?knlgAreaID=108&subsecID=900003&contentID=253189
>
> More on http://www.ethnologue.com/country_index.asp
>
> So we have a long way to go. :-D
> However if you look at your owb country, you see that dialects are called
> a language as well. Belgium is indicated as having 10 languages. Either
> way too many or way too few.
>
> Another example: The number of languages listed for Brazil is 235. Of
> those, 188 are living languages and 47 are extinct.
>
> So there is still a lot to do. :-)
>
> houghi

It is always good to have a plan :-)

In all seriousness, it is one aspect of the opensuse.org project where
the community is actually in control and providing the driving force.
(well, we have no admins in the english wiki but that doesn't matter
for the most part). So the number of languages is totally up to us. We
just need the community members that speak the language.

I added an announcement to about Swedish to http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_News

Could a sysop add it to the front page, or if I am trusted, can i get
sysop status (it was worth a try  :-)

Peter 'Pflodo' Flodin