On 5/28/06, Jerry Westrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello there, my first post post here...
I was sent to this list from the OpenSUSE list...

I'm trying to write some documentation about
remote access to SUSE.

Unfortunately, I'm down with a real bad flu...
Yes, but this sounds like a reason TO work on the wiki,
otherwise you should go out an enjoy the real world  :-)

my problems are:
1) the documents look like shit.
2) I need to use tables to organize the options.

Wiki tables are a litte tricky, but simple tables are relatively simple.
You can also use HTML tables, which means if you have a way to convert
your original text to HTML, it makes it easier.

3) I'll want lots and lots of screen shots for the newbies...

Simple but does require a bit of work. You need to upload each image
that you want to use. And then insert them using a tag like
[[Image:filename.png]] where filename.png is your image filename.
See this (on-topic) page for an example:
http://en.opensuse.org/Terminal_Services_Client

Additionally, I find it hard working on the wiki documantation.
You will soon have forgotten the luxury of WYSIWYG :-)
and practice makes perfect.

Any tips appreceated.
1. Have a look at www.Wikipedia.org you can look at the source of any
page to learn how they created particular document features.
2. Specifically read this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_edit_a_page it is the
best single page on how to edit in a wiki.
3. When moving from a document to a wiki, remember that you are now
part of something larger. And also try to break up large pages into
logical pages. eg: SSH Tunnels should be explained on it's own page so
that a wide variety of pages (including from other authors) can refer
to it (ie on a page on how to use SSH from Windows it should not
explain what SSH tunnels are, but just link to the SSH Tunnel page).

Jerry
P.S.  How do I get something like this into wiki?
http://home.intergga.ch/Westrick/Using_SSH_tunnels_from_M$_Windows.pdf

I did one page from the pdf :
http://en.opensuse.org/SSH_Tunnels_from_Microsoft_Windows

Peter 'Pflodo' Flodin