On Friday 06 April 2007 05:11, Jakub Steiner wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 23:24 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:
> > On Thursday 05 April 2007 18:55, Rajko M. wrote:
> > > On Thursday 05 April 2007 18:47, Magnus Boman wrote:
> > > ..

> > > Later tonight Magnus.
> > > I'll post here when done.
> >
> > Done.
> > http://en.opensuse.org/User:Rajko_m/wip
>
> Howdy,
> I really dislike the excessive framing. The border adds quite a lot of
> visual noise. Whitespace is a much better separator for block elements.
>
> Pages with the borders look overly busy. The GNOME Human Interface
> Guidelines addressed the visual noise created by frames, and dialogs
> look much more readable since applications started following it.
>
> cheers
>
> [1] http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/controls-frames.html

I agree with you about usage of frames when they are not needed.
Your example perfectly illustrates the case where extra frames don't offer any
help. Window is small and with or without frame is clear where the text
belongs.

When we have much larger portion of the screen, than some help to follow the
text is good add on. Would be that fame, consistent font, colors, it is not
important.

Simplification of layout using white spaces works for large screen, well
cotrolled font size and shape, like in the books or your example, which is
not the case with web pages that depend on font provided by system.

What I have here is that heading 2 is normal font, heading 3 is smaller, but
bold, and that really doesn't help to follow the text. This doesn't depend on
used browser.

What I can't agree is to use the same method to solve all problems.
Hammer is good for nails, but not for screws. They look alike, but they are
not the same.

--
Regards, Rajko.
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal