On 06.05.11 Křištof Želechovski wrote:

> Currently the algorithm for video mode selection prefers the highest
> resolution.  Would it be possible to change it to prefer the highest
> refresh rate? Also, I know that I can use systemsettings to change the
> resolution in KDE, but what do I do in a twm session? Chris

The most basic way to do this is the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
If you don't have such, create it by calling from the console
        X -configure
... when Xorg is _not_ running. You may do a »init 3« to deactivate a
running Xorg (and activate it later again by »init 5«).
Move the newly created file /root/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/

Edit the file and change the »Section Screen«, which looks like this in my
case:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen0"
        Device          "Card0"
        Monitor         "Monitor0"
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport 0 0
                Depth    24
                Modes   "1600x1200" "1400x1050" "1280x960" "1152x864"
"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

You see, the first resolution to select is 1600x1200. If I wanted 1024x768
to be the first, I just would change the order here.
You can search in the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log for lines containing the
word »Modeline« to see which resolutions are supported by your monitor.
Usually for every supported resolution Xorg takes the highest possible
frequency.

Okay, this was very short now; don't hesitate to ask again. ;-)
Werner