On 2011/06/04 10:28 (GMT+0200) walter harms composed:

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics
Controller (rev 02)

That is precisely the result I get on my Dell GX620 running 11.4 and KDE. What this means is it should work for you too, as long as certain (yet to be fully determined) requirements are first met.

i guess the problem is more basic.

I'm sure it is.

Nowhere in this thread have I read a clear statement that you have tried removing (renaming) /etc/X11/xorg.conf, which as created by 11.2 is unlikely to work in 11.4. Did you try that yet? My 945/11.4's KDE works, as intended, using no xorg.conf file.

KDE worked correctly for me on first entry to runlevel 5, though this (intentionally) did not happen on first boot, since I included a 3 on the Grub kernel line in menu.lst. Moreover, I did all my updating prior to first entry to runlevel 3, and installed fresh, instead of attempting an unsupported upgrade from 11.2.

Since installing 11.4, have you done all the updates? If not, do them first with 'zypper up' from root login before proceeding further in trying to make X work properly.

If all the above fails to get you your KDE, please 'init 3' from root login on a tty, delete ~/.xsession errors, 'init 5', attempt to log into KDE, then as soon as it fails (before trying another DTE), provide:

1-~/.xsession-errors
2-/var/log/Xorg.0.log

If necessary to open some other DTE in order to respond here, first copy them somewhere before logging in.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/