Hi,

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013, Daniel Bischof wrote:

Hi,

On Sun, 29 Sep 2013, Daniel Bischof wrote:

I'm frequently updating Xorg for my oS 12.3 from
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_12.3/
and my kernel from the respective kernel repo.

I got GPU resets occasionally, but since the most recent updates, all "3D applications" (such as Steam, etc.) are unusable due to frequent resets [1]. Actually I had to restart the whole machine most of the time. [...]

I investigated this further:

- updated to most recent Xorg repo updates from today: No change
- downgraded to 12.3 kernel (3.7.10-1.16-desktop), kept stuff from Xorg repo: GPU resets almost vanished, but occasional lags and 3D performance poor - installed latest AMD Catalyst proprietary driver: no more resets, no lags and great 3D performance (so my card appears to be ok)

I was kind of rejoicing that the Radeon OSS driver finally made a 3D performance jump, but apparently we're not quite there yet. Is there something I could help with (test packages, provide information, ...)?

I could finally resolve this: Booting with "radeon.dpm=1" does the trick. No further settings in /sys/class/drm/card0/device or something else, just the boot option.

The effect is reproducible: Watching the WebGL fish tank [1] causes GPU resets after a couple of seconds. After having rebooted with DPM enabled, it works like a charm (and my other OpenGL stuff, too).

[1] http://people.mozilla.org/~jmuizelaar/fishie/fishie-gl.html

Best regards,

--D.B.
---