> Am Dienstag, 6. September 2005 12:36 schrieb Shriramana Sharma:
>> True. Single CD still has lots of attraction. Which is why I am
>> downloading Knoppix right now for my travels. If I get a SuSE
>> carry- with- you CD I will certainly have chosen that...
>
> #what about SuSE- Live- CD ?

Yes .... I would love one :D

I already added this page a few days ago

http://www.opensuse.org/index.php/Live_CD

talking about Knoppix. All it would take is:

1.) take knoppix /etc/
2.) Find all apps that knoppix has added to debian
3.) Create a knoppix style install for SUSE
4.) Add the apps knoppix has (hwsetup, RedHat hwdata mainly)
5.) Create cramfs image of above install and iso
6.) Test to see what scripts break
7.) fix scripts and go back to 5

Last time I did this with Yoper it took me 2 days full work to have
everything working perfectly. Was too busy to consider it mainstream
though, needed scripting to make usable.

So if anyone would take Knoppix /etc/ and do this it and maintain it
going forward. Now that would be a good experimental thing that people
would love to use.

> #--  mdc
>
> I have used both and Knoppix has some advantages:
> 1) if required, you can install it on your Hard- drive.  I run both
Knoppix
> and Win/XP in my machine.  When virus, disk, registry or other
problems
> crop up, I fire up Knoppix on the machine and bingo.  I don't even
have to
> carry my CD.
> 2) Knoppix has a bunch of very neat tools for trouble shooting.  I
don't
> leave home without it to fix my SuSE systems when they run into
trouble.
> 3)SuSE- Live- CD is mostly a marketing CD, not really well thought
out for
> the purpose of such tools as Knoppix is.  Mind you, it is a good
thing to
> have when you want to show someone what their machine would look like
if
> SuSE was installed.  I am a believer that a 1_CD_Desktop from the
SUPER
> initiative would go a long way.

Well an installable 1 CD should IMHO not replace a live CD and vice
versa. But maybe this could be an option for the SUPER modified iso's
... hmmmm actually quite a good idea. Have a LiveCD and not an installCD
..hmmmmm

In any case I am starting to be far too busy to do this all alone.
Really need some relief in quite a few areas as I don't do this fulltime
at work and have a normal consulting job to do.

Andreas