On Friday 09 September 2005 11:20, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> Eberhard Moenkeberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Hi,

> >> Old Athlon K7 that identifies as i586 system?  We screwed up and did
> >> not put the i586 glibc on it, so you need some newer system.  Fixed
> >> already but we noticed too late :-(
> >
> > Will it arrive below /pub/suse/i386/update/10.0/ soon?
>
> No - it won't help, you need it during the installation...
>
> You could use the one from Beta4 and copy it somehow into the
> installation but that's a gross hack.  The final one will have this
> fixed,
>
> Andreas

Hi All,

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how could a missing i586 glibc cause the
system to boot once from CD1, perform the preliminary installation, then not
boot again **from the same (or a second) CD?**  ;-)  Am I misinterpreting
something here, or does that really not make much sense?

If CD1 "completes" and the system resets but then will not boot to the OS *or*
from CD1 *or* from CD2, I'd say there are two problems to troubleshoot that
may be, or may not be, related.

I'd start by troubleshooting the "won't boot (again) from CD1 or CD2" problem:

- verify each of the downloaded iso md5sums

- check the burned CDs in a couple of other systems to rule out marginal
media. One must be convinced that the burned CD product quality is extremely
high.

- stick another CD drive in the system to rule out marginal hardware. One must
be convinced that the booting CD drive is not in some way faulty, failing or
marginal. I've had CD drives fail intermittently just before they fail
permanently.

- verify the BIOS still has boot from CD enabled and the correct boot order
set. It's extremely rare, but I've seen these settings change
spontaneously... for example, with a marginal battery during an aggressive
software probe (gathering hardware information.) This check is very easy, but
important. If the BIOS settings aren't the problem, at least this item can be
marked off the troubleshooting checklist.

I believe that, somewhere in the above tests, the cause will be discovered
that will explain why the system will not boot from CD1 or CD2.

If it is the media *or* the CD drive, itself... and, remember, it could be
_both_ if the drive created the media... then I think the OS should be
installed again after the identified problem is corrected.

A faulty CD or drive could have caused the preliminary installation to be
corrupted in such a way that it will not boot. In such a case, the only way
to restore one's confidence in the installed system is to start again from
scratch.

regards,

- Carl