I've been reading most of the thread on package creation and trust and
I still think we should be considering a different approach of
allowing direct involvement and participation of third parties on the
construction of OpenSUSE.

I believe having a lot of packages (without allowing redundant
packages) would be good, even if some of them are not as properly
maintained as they could be.  I would rather have 3 ISOs of very
properly maintained software + 4 ISOs of averagely maintained packages
+ 4 ISOs of sparringly maintained software than just 3 ISOs of very
properly maintained software.  I feel that allowing relatively unused
packages into the distribution would be benefical, at least better
than not including them at all.  I don't see any reasons why the
quality of the "3 ISOs of very properly maintained software" would
diminish by allowing the rest of the packages into the distribution.
In this case, if a package is poorly maintained, anyone should be
allowed to contribute and help improve its quality.

Oh, and we could use tools similar to Debian's popularity contest to
decide how to place our RPMs in our ISOs (probably marking the less
important ISOs as "additional" or "optional").

Certainly, I'm not advocating letting anyone put up random crap and
making it part of the distribution!  I think there are many
alternatives less extreme than the "Novell remains in control"
approach.

Althoug I use SLES, SUSE Pro and NLD almost every day, I've been a
long time Debian user: my perception is that most of their packages
are of *very* *good* quality (it should be said that I have very
little familiarity with Fedora).  In their case, allowing anyone to
create packages that are official part of the distribution has most
certainly not decreased their overall quality.

In my case I would package the Chicken Scheme compiler (along with
many extensions) and the Ion window manager.  Sure, they are
relatively unpopular, but having them part of the distribution would
surely make the life of those who depend on them easier.

With the current approach, I can't see any reasons why third-party
developers would prefer to participate in (i.e.  create packages for,
promote, etc.) OpenSuSE rather than a distribution such as Debian,
where they can become directly involved (as long as the specified
procedures are followed).

The reason I ask this is because, being a Novell employee, I am
genuinously concerned with the future of OpenSUSE and I think its
chances of success would be greater with a different approach.  I know
most of the Novell guys at SuSE are currently occupied with getting
the 10.0 release out, but I find this issue far more important.  It's
a shame I couldn't jump into the discussion earlier.

Thanks.

Alejo.
http://azul.freaks-unidos.net/

---=(  Comunidad de Usuarios de Software Libre en Colombia  )=---
---=(  http://bachue.com/colibri )=--=( [EMAIL PROTECTED]  )=---