On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 10:17:42PM -0500, Alejandro Forero Cuervo wrote:
> > Tell me where on this page:
> >
> > http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/index.html
> >
> > ...you find where it says "royalty-free distribution of free decoders."
>
> What makes you think you need to agree to those royalties for a
> *decoder*?

The fact that your country isn't the ONLY one on Earth and that each one
has it's own laws?

> Those royalties are for a series of patents that seem to apply to
> encoders, not decoders.  You can find a listing in:
>
>   http://www.mp3licensing.com/patents/index.html
>
> My understanding is that you only need to license this patents if you
> distribute an *encoder*.  If you need to license those patents, you
> also have to agree to some per-decoder fee, but that doesn't mean you
> need to license them for a decoder.  This has been througly discussed
> in debian-legal and other mailing lists.
>
> > If you find that magic phrase, let me know and we'll drop mp3
> > support into Fedora Core tomorrow.  :)

I'd settle for an IQ test before being allowed to sign up on these lists.
But what the hell you opened the can:

Instead of dropping MP3 support IN, why not drop up2date into a blender
like in the Pink Floyd video? I've used every release to date and none seem
to be able to handle more than a few downloads of patches at a time and
most of the time it fails out of the box. It reminds me of when I update
XP, you have to do it one at a time or it freezes up. Out of the box.

> I believe you should do that.  Debian, after discussing the legal
> status of doing so, has decided to include MP3 *decoding* support (not
> *encoding*) and there are many free software decoders around, whose
> authors have never licensed any of Thomson patents.

And Debian isn't a company or corporation. Therefore Debian has less to
worry about by doing so. Novell is a business, they have to actually worry
about these types of things.

> It seems this was discussed in Slashdot at some point in 2003 when a
> report claimed it wasn't legally allowed to distribute free decoders
> anymore.  At this point many distributions decided to drop MP3
> support.  However, it seems this report was bogus, as reported in:
>
>   http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/30321

I bet I could find news reports saying they found intelligent life once at
a Republican convention. Doesn't make it true.