Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

Markus Nicolussi schrieb:
Hi!

Is there any possibility to install SUSE 10 on a System with two SATA drives
combined to a RAID with a fake RAID chip resp. software RAID with BIOS
support  -- such as for example my SiliconImage 3112A which creates some
special signature on the (MBR of?) the hard dirve(s?) called "Medley". On
the ftp i see the required dmraid package, but can YaST at installation time
make use of my "SATA fake RAID" ???

Yes, it can (sort of). But the procedure is long and complicated and will
probably change with SUSE Linux 10.1.

I'll write the procedure down in a few days when I'm not overloaded with
university work anymore.

Alternatively, does somebody know any document which despribes the
installation with at least the / prationon on the RAID but a /boot partition
on a PATA drive? Searching net and mail archives didn't help me there ...

That problem is not much easier, unfortunately.

Is there (or will there be) support for the fake-RAID detector/drivers like sata_nv and/or installing Linux RAID based on fake-RAID configuration? I have been googling my fingers off and have been unable to find any at-all-user-friendly way to install a current Linux distribution on a RAID 1+0 array of drives.

I, personally, would be happy to use Linux software RAID
BUT I have found it extremely difficult and problematic to set up.

With hardware RAID (3ware, LSI, ...) I set up DRIVES in a RAID 1+0 or RAID 5 array and then treat it as one big drive when partitioning and installing.

I believe, with newer kernels/mdadm/... that it is possible to create drive arrays (instead of partition arrays) BUT this does not seem to be supported by any current distributions installers.

It would be great to be able to establish an array of drives in the fake-RAID BIOS and have the installer/grub/... detect that setup and use it for the basis for the Linux software RAID OR use the correct driver (eg sata_nv).

Alternatively, if the installer allowed establishing two drives in RAID 0 (or 1+0) and then partitioning the resultant /dev/md1. I keep reading that /dev/md1 is just another block device but the installers do not seem to treat it as such.

Any references to where this work is (or should be) done would be appreciated.

R.Parr, RHCE, Temporal Arts