HG schrieb:

Hello!

I think this is a FAQ - but I could not find a clear answer from
Novells or open SUSE's web sites.

This has been discussed in this mailing list. You could have a look at the archives.

What are the differences between Novell SUSE Linux 10.0 and Open SUSE
Linux OSS 10.0?

From the names I would suspect that the OSS -version only contains
open source software.
Yes.

But what does this mean for end user?

Am I right if I guess that regards to MP3's or DVD's or PDF-documents
(and so on) nothing works in the OSS version? And the end user must go
hunting for some under ground repositories of RPM's to get the system
working? Does even the display adapter drivers work?

DVD Support will not be in any of the Releases because of patents and restriction. MP3-Support will probably be downloadable with YOU like it was with previous releases
(9.3 eg)
The OSS will not contain eg Opera and Adobe Reader, but will contain xpdf,kpdf IIRC.

Display Adapters will surely work, as there are OSS-Drivers for these, but for example with Nvidia without 3D. I hope, there will be an YOU-Update installing these like before.

Sorry, if this is too much of a FAQ - if there is a page the has this
information in the clear (I mean, package list isn't quite what I had
in mind), please point me in that direction.

I did not find a page on opensuse, perhaps someone other knows.

--
HG.
-rauch