houghi wrote:

My personal first concern would however still go out to a seperate /home

for me, a separate /var is as important as a separate /home, but then, I came from a solaris on server background where you tend to create more partitions.

I've never used the default suse partitions, and see it a sign of newbieness to have just / and swap, and when I first installed SuSE it actually made me wonder whether it was a serious OS!

I'd say for automagic partition sizing
/var = minimum 256MB rising proportionately to maximum 2G, depending on disk size /home = minimum 64MB rising proportionally with disk space maximum 50% of disk

*only* if there's no room for these partition sizes should they be omitted - e.g. if say installing onto a 1GB flash memory card or something.

I'd also like to see an advanced option for "noatime".

Paul