Marcel Mourguiart wrote:

2005/10/6, Alain Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
jdd wrote:

Marcus Meissner wrote:

But the Sempron is a x86-64 processor? The AMD64 and Intel EM64T all
have
32bit compatmode instructions.
I'm pretty sure my low cost sempron is not a 64 bits processor :-)

jdd

They're not. At least, not yet. They are similar to the 64bit chips,
but the 64bit parts are either not there, or disabled.

???

Yes they are in fact I'm using one right now, and i repeat:

there are 3 Sempron:

1. Socket A, only 32bits
2. Socket 754 32 bits ( Is a normal Athlon 64 socket 64, with half cache L2
and blocked 64bits instructions.)
3. Socket 754 64bits ( Same as above but with 64bits instructions.)

Maybe is easier to called: "Sempron" and "Sempron 64".

4. Socket 939 64bits ( not realized yet, but it will be realized this year )

Maybe you should take a look here:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_608,00.html

The Sempron code name "Palermo" is the one with 64bits instructions
available, and are for sale since July

You can see the official prize list here:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_609,00.html

And if you still don't believe me, then take a look here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&description=sempron+64&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

--
Marcel Mourguiart

Cool, I didn't realize AMD had started shipping them. Must have missed that announcement. Thanks for the correction.