Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> Monday 10 Oct 2005 12:00 samaye Randall R Schulz alekhiit:
>> I think what Pascal meant is of all the strengths and weaknesses of SuSE
>> Linux, its relatively small user community is a significant weakness.

Yes, I definately meant the _size_ of its community, not its quality ;)
Neither did I meant the quality of the distribution. I believe SUSE is
superior to the other Linux distributions for most things.

> Hmm. I thought second to Red Hat SUSE was the most widespread distribution?

It definately is... in a corporate environment.
RHES and SLES are the most widespread enterprise distributions.

> Aren't RH, SUSE and Debian the big three in the Linux world?

Yes.
There are several distributions based on Redhat/Fedora.
Same goes for Debian, Ubuntu & co.

The SUSE Linux user community is smaller than the two above, although
the quality of the distribution is superior in most areas.

The first has a number of reasons, from my experience:

1) SUSE Linux was always tagged as being "commercial", "not open
source", evil, whatever, by Debian-alike FOSS "extremists" (not
necessarely negative, we also need that kind of people). That, again is
because of three things:
a) SUSE Linux used to be available only as a boxed set, had to be bought
for money, and only came out "for free" on FTP servers 1 month after the
release of the box.
b) YaST2 wasn't GPL until recently.
c) some people are stupid, and rumours stay for long, even when wrong

2) SUSE Linux was an european (german, actually) distribution, whereas
Redhat/Fedora is an american one. While this is not true as of today,
Novell having bought SUSE, I think it was a cause in the past, because
people in the USA are rather protective and use US products first. Note
that this isn't a criticism by itself, one of the reasons I always used
SUSE is that it was an european distro ;)
(or rather, engineered by europeans, which is still true as of now)

SUSE Linux has a very strong community in Germany (I'm talking about
numbers), but outside of it, it comes behind Fedora and Debian.

But the openSUSE move is a good one, and that situation will most
definately change soon. Let's work on it ;)

And as far as packagers are concerned, the difference is huge.
Besides the Packman team, James Ogley's, 5 or 6 suser-* repositories on
gwdg.de and mine... there's near nothing as 3rd party repositories for
SUSE Linux. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's not
much more to it.

Believe it or not, but having a large number of good packagers has a
direct impact on the size of the userbase.

> And possibly the one reason for RH being more spread out than SUSE is that RH
> is based in the US where there are possibly many many more companies,
> especially those relating to computers, than in Europe? [If I've got my
> figures mixed up please don't hit me on the head too harsh! :)]

I'm talking about the community, not businesses.
Businesses don't make up the user community, and they mostly buy
enterprise distributions (RHES and SLES).

> Anyway, how exactly do we know that SUSE has a relatively smaller user
> community? You concede that you don't have numbers, and neither do I. But
> until such stats are available, we can neither claim that SUSE has a small or
> large user base. Isn't that right?

10 years of experience with Linux. That's why I can claim that.

>> You may or may not know that Pascal spends considerable time making
>> available the latest and greatest in RPMs for versions of SuSE He's the
>> person behind Guru's RPM Site:
> Wow! I didn't know that. I've never even seen this site before. Looks great,
> however!

Thanks :)

>> Pascal is certainly not slamming the user community his own actions
>> serve so well.

Definately not ! I'd be the last to do so :)
Sorry if someone got my previous mail wrong, I meant the *size* of the
community.

> Of course not. I was just curious as to what the exact reason is that Pascal
> said what he said.

Believe me, it's a while I'm on the Linux and FOSS bandwagon.
I really think my statement is accurate ;)

cheers
- --
  -o) Pascal Bleser     http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/
  /\\ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>