I updated two suse 9.3 x86 boxes and on both they installed all the
way to the end of the first disk and then gave a mkinitrd error, resulting on
a kernel panic upon reboot. On both, I managed to restore using mkinitrd in a
rescue environment (suse rescue and knoppix).

I didn't get any debugging information at the time of the install, but
mkinitrd complained about being unable to locate the following files when i
ran it manually:

lib/klibc/sbin/ata_id
lib/klibc/sbin/scsi_id
lib/klibc/sbin/usb_id
lib/klibc/sbin/vol_id
lib/klibc/sbin/dasd_id
sbin/path_id
sbin/path_id

which are from the udev package. I copied those from a fresh install (which
installed absolutely fine, ruling out my initial suspicions of a dodgy install
disk) and all was ok, give or take the odd modprobe. Once I was up I
reinstalled the kernel packages and everything is by and large ok.

Any idea why this would have happened? There is a similar problem on the web
here: http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/lofiversion/index.php/t18960.html
which is unanswered. The machines I tried the install on both have different
motherboards and specs and a clean install worked. The udev package now seems
happily installed.

Craig