On Wednesday 26 October 2005 11:10, Adam Schuett wrote:
> Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > Adam,
> >
> > On Wednesday 26 October 2005 08:13, Adam Schuett wrote:
> >> I am encountering java issues that someone informed me was because
> >> I am using the SUSE java distribution, when I need to be using
> >> Sun's direct distribution.
> >>
> >> How might I go about removing the SUSE distribution, and what
> >> residual files will I need to watch for after the fact so that it
> >> does not cause problems after installing Sun's package?
> >
> > I, and perhaps others, would appreciate hearing what kinds of
> > problems you're having and why you think they're related to SuSE's
> > packaging of Sun's Java software.
> >
> > Could you elaborate a bit?
>
> The problems go very deep, and I was not the author of the code.  The
> basic  problem is from communication via DSL lines using VPN, and
> then accessing the java program on a remote server and the java
> program then uses an RMI server on an AS400.
>
> We tried several things, and since the author refused to admit it was
> a coding issue (what's so hard about admitting our code could pack a
> flaw?), someone had tried this on their 9.3 machine and it worked
> with no more issues.

The reason "the author" (me) won't admit it's a coding issue is that
these are stable programs that have had little or no changes in a year
or more, while our network has undergone a number of significant
changes in recent months (e.g. a remote location switching from T1 to
DSL and VPN, network usage tracking hardware, servers moved to DMZ,
etc.). In addition, the problems being seen are of an intermittent
nature and there is no repro case for them.  The symptoms include:
a) program loads failing due to ClassNotFoundException when we know that
the class files are present on the file server
b) "connection dropped unexpectedly" messages from JDBC drivers against
both Postgres and AS/400 databases

What you mean about 9.3, I'm not sure... are you saying that someone
replaced SUSE's 1.5.0_03 with a download from Sun and the problems
magically went away?  If that's what you're saying, how much stress
testing did you do (bearing in mind the fact that the problem is not
reproducible)?  One of the first things I tried this summer when we
were having what turned out to be NFS problems was to replace the SUSE
JVM with the more recent 1.5.0_05, downloaded from Sun.  It didn't make
a difference, so I backed it out after running it for several days on
four machines.

It seems to me that the answers you are getting here, Adam, are the same
ones I gave you at the office.