Henne,

Thank you very, very much for your detailed post.  I followed your
directions and it works like a charm!
It was only as an after thought that I mentioned that I'd configured
eth0 to use ifplugd .. good thing I did or I'd have lost out on your
excellent post.  :)

I have the system configured to get the time from the ntp server on
boot-up.  Regardless of whether ifplugd is used or not it still strikes
me as a problem in the boot-process to be trying to access the ntp
server before the interface is configured.  I guess my understanding of
this is just too simplified.  :(  I would also think that ifplugd would
be the default for non-wireless interfaces.

    - Bruce