Hello,

Am Montag, 14. November 2005 15:05 schrieb Sonja Krause-Harder:
> I'd like to propose creating a FAQ to clarify the usual questions,
> like:
>
> - Purpose of the list
> - Good topics
> - Bad topics (and where to discuss them instead)

Good idea ;-)

> - Preferred conduct
> - Preferred email and quoting style, if applicable

Also a good idea - but there's something about this in the wiki already:
http://www.opensuse.org/Opensuse_mailing_list_netiquette
(maybe it needs some additions or changes, I didn't check the last
weeks)

Maybe we could also take some points from the www.suse-etikette.de.vu
(in german: the netiquette of the suse-linux mailinglist) - it works
mostly in the suse-linux mailinglist.
(Why "mostly"? There are always people who ignore the rules :-/ )

Oh, we don't need an own mailinglist for netiquette discussions as there
is for suse-linux - empirically, netiquette discussions (aka "endless
threads") will *always* go to the main list :-/

> - Subcribing / unsubscribing / archiving

Also an important topic, although it is already covered by the existing
"Communicate" page IMHO. (If you consider this unclear/not
enough/whatever, this page should be updated. Please don't create a
page about "how to use the Communicate page" ;-)

> - ...?

- Searching the archives (yes, this has been discussed already and I
  hope you are allowed to include a Google search. Christoph, are there
  any news about that?)

- What do all those abbr. ;-) mean? (things like AFAIK, IIRC, IMHO, ...)

- I have a problem. What can I do to solve it on myself?

- How does a good question look like ("SUSE does not work" vs. "After
  installing SUSE 10.1 alpha2, program 'foo' exits with error message
  'bar'")

BTW: several of this points are taken from the german
www.suse-minifaq.de.vu which could also inspire us ;-)

> What do you think? We'd need volunteers to actually write down the
> stuff, and I know that some points are highly controversial and
> emotional. But you already are the opensuse community, and if this
> list can agree on a set of rules, I'd prefer those to anything that
> we (Novell/SUSE staff) would decree more or less arbitrarily.

+1 ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
>Man kann natürlich immer diskutieren, welche Fachbegriffe man übersetzt
diskutieren ist kein Deutsches Wort, sondern ebenfalls Latein. Auf
Deutsch hieße das erörtern. [> Ratti und Bernd Brodesser in suse-linux]