Hello,

Silviu Marin-Caea wrote:

I can imagine it is only so when you're waiting to plug it off and do some hardware upgrade.

Otherwise, why would you need to wait for it to shut down? You can go about your business and leave it to do it by itself.
No. There are a lot of other situations:
- you better not put your notebook in your bag while HDD is spinning madly
- to be environmentally friendly, I turn off elecricity complettly in my computer room, when I'm not working there -> I have to stay there until all computers are shut down, and then pull the plug.
Both happen more then once a day.
Bye,
CzP