Hello community !

Ken Schneider wrote:

I just wanted to type "rm *~" to kill the backup files in my folder.
Accidently, I slid of the key and mistyped the command. So it became
"rm *" an all my data is los. Under MS-DOS there is a command called
"undelete" which one can use to recover data. How is the command under
Suse Linux 10.0?
Which is why I always recommend to people to use rm -i -if- they are
using -any- wildcards at all. It might be a pain in the butt to answer
'y' for each file but in this case you would have saved more than just
time.

That's why I use the "alias" feature of bash to set the "-i"-option for most of the "dangerous" commands dealing with file on CLI level ...

alias cp='cp -pi'
alias mv='mv -i'
alias rm='rm -i'

Unfortunately this is not the help the original poster needs now ...
--
Never give up !

Best regards,
Reinhard.