On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Chong Zan Kai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:-

Hi,

May I know how should I mount my thumbdrive with normal user account?

What you'll probably find is that, after plugging it in, a new directory
is created under /media. As an example, when I plug my USB pen-drive
into my machine, a new directory "/media/usbdisk" is created. In the
case of a FAT32 device, the contents of the device don't appear to have
a specific user/group associated with it. However, once a user looks in
that directory, the contents become "owned" by that user.

In other words, if you have more than one user using the machine,
whoever is looking at the contents is the "owner" of the files unless
more than one user is looking at the files at almost the exact same
time. A little experimentation shows that two users performing the same
"ls -l" command upto two seconds apart gives the files "owner" as the
one who performed the command first. A three second gap is enough for
the "ownership" to swap.

I manage to mount my thumbdrive with my root account. However, when I try to
mount it with my normal user account, it said that only root can mount only.

So, may I know what should I do now? Please advise me.

Don't bother using mount. Just plug it in and, after a few moments, hotplug should have picked it up and created the mount point for it. Just looking into the directory is enough for it to be mounted.

One annoying feature that I have noticed with both SUSE 9.3 and 10.0[0], is that a device mounted this way doesn't show it's free capacity with "df" and I have to either guess just how much free space is left, or temporarily mount the file-system as root to find out.

[0] same applies to 10.1alpha as well, which doesn't really surprise me.

Regards,                                        And have a Happy New Year
  David Bolt

--
Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
AMD1800 1Gb WinXP/SUSE 9.3  | AMD2400 256Mb SuSE 9.0  | A3010 4Mb RISCOS 3.11