First of all, let me say that the discussion-wiki-page is quite
"ripping sentences from the context".

On 01/27/2006 08:59 PM Joseph M. Gaffney wrote:

> "unless such a forum is bi-directionally gated to e.g. this mailing-list, it
> will only cause a split in the community"

What the one could have meant is that there is only a limited umber of
experts. And forum+mailinglist might be too much for this limited number.
Maybe he meant that.

> "if there is a web forum and there is a very low concentration of "experts"
> in
> there, what's the point of it ?"
>
> If there is a mailing list, and there is a very low concentration of
> "experts"
> on it, whats the point of it?  I'm sorry, but I don't think this is something
> that could qualify as a reason against a forum.

There are experts here, but will they move to the new forum? Or where
will the mods/admins/advanced user for the forum will come from?

> "if there is no "moderation" or guidance, a forum wont work"
>
> I'm sorry... this one I just don't get at all.  Of course there would be
> administrators & moderators... its a crucial forum element.

Yeah, of course it is crucial. I guess this quote is quite a bit out
of the context. And it was more of a "when doing a forum may I remind
you of these tasks" then a " why not to do a forum".
What I meant was: You need people who get admins/mods/whatever. There
are a lot of people on the lists, and there might be enough around,
but you have to find them.

OJ
--
Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer
is NO. (Unbekannt)