Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

 Terje J. Hanssen schrieb:
/> The initial OpenSuse 10.0 release was the first Suse Linux distro (tried / /> Suse 9.0-9.3 Pro and SLES9 before) that has been capable to PowerOff my /
/> K7 PC using Shutdown. (Win9x/2k and Ubuntu 5.10 managed also this). /
/> /
/> But after installing a recommended kernel update for OpenSuse 10.0, /
/> poweroff didn't work any more. Trying now OpenSuse 10.1 beta2, I notice /
/> the same. Is the PoweOff function gone? /

It always worked for me, but then again, I don't have your hardware.
Could you find out which was the first update kernel for SUSE Linux 10.0
that couldn't poweroff your hardware anymore? This would make it easier
to find the problem.

Sorry this took some time. But I've had serious trouble getting 10.1 beta2 properly installed. I've tried both upgrades from 10.0 and new installations several times, and most of the times 10.1 hangs somewhere during the installation or during boot up. When it installed one time and I was able to login, there was almost no response. The system worked useless sluggish trying to start any application.

Therefore I had to drop the 10.1 beta2, go back and reinstall 10.0 from scratch again from the initial CDs, and next run Online update.

Once you know the last working and the first non-working kernel, boot
the last working kernel and after boot run
# dmesg >dm1

The initial x86 kernel that worked with regards to power off was version 2.6.13-15-default. The file /boot/grub/menu.lst didn't yet contain any "acpi" or "acpi=force" parameter

Then boot the first non-working kernel and run
# dmesg >dm2

The Online update kernel where Power Off was gone is version 2.6.13-15.8-default

 # diff -u dm1 dm2
That diff will probably show the reason for the poweroff failure.

I noticed especially the following ACPI lines in the boot messages from the last kernel 2.6.13-15.8-default

ACPI: BIOS age (2000) fails cutoff (2001), acpi=force is required to enable ACPI
ACPI: Disabling ACPI support

Side note: Could you add acpi=force to your kernel parameters? I have
a strong suspicion that this will fix it.

I added "acpi=force" into the file /boot/grub/menu.lst and then Power Off worked again.

The question is lastly, why this change was introduced in the 10.0 kernel update and also in 10.1 beta2? As I wrote above, acpi=force wasn't necessary for the 2.6.13-15-default kernel.

Thanks for the tip,

Terje J. Hanssen