On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Robert Schiele wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 05:20:16PM -0700, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> > I have been waiting for this discussion on the list as I feel there is a
> > real problem with mirrors.  Especially US mirrors.  I have started using
> > the EU mirrors as they are the only real reliable mirrors.
>
> Well, if you have a point to make then _make_ it.  You should not wait until
> someone provides you with the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

I find your attiude and tone offensive and demeaning.  Your action item
item was to disuss/document the current situation and verify whether
others are seeing the problem.

On the IRC meeting it was said there was no problems with mirrors.  Yet
every day I have been on IRC someone has been having problems with
mirrors/or reliability.  The solution is always use the two great EU
mirrors.  I have been doing that for my problems and they went away.  All
this does is provide a quick fix for the current problem.

We need to document the problems or situations with the facts.  I have
seen the US mirrors in non usable states.  They can not be used reliably
or are of extremely limited use.  They may be sync'd improperly.  I do not
know.  I heard/read in the IRC log of the last meeting of how the
downloads have been happening.  So why are the US mirrors so bad.  Why are
they unusable?  I know the on IRC other are experiencing similar problems.

I think the issues/problems need to be documented.  So solutions can be
found.   How this is to be done I do not know.  Do we really know the
problem/issue?

> I personally don't have a point that has not already been said that is
> appropriate for the list.  If I started a thread anyway this would just again
> result in the infamous situation that those people that post something to
> almost _every_ thread on this list will post something to the thread with no

What are the issues/problems?  All I have seen is a very disjoint way of
looking at them with no one acknowledgeing a problem.  The thread would
not necessarily have been like you discribe.  I have seen some very good
threads here.  And some resolutions to community problems.  I feel the
mirror situation is a community problem and needs to be addressed.  I have
not posted waiting for it to be discussed as per the action item.  I have
not seen a list of the issues.  I have seen many discussion of problems on
IRC but no solutions or documented problems.  I thought the action item
was to determine on this list what the problems are and document them.  So
we do not have the same conflict/discussion of all is well...not it is
not.

This does not get us any where as a community.

Thanks for listening/reading my rant on the situation.

--
Boyd Gerber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
ZENEZ   1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047