HG wrote:

Hi!

On 2/21/06, Edward Dunagin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 2/18/06, houghi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
hi, i have been using the VM beta server for about 2 weeks now. i thought it
was easy to set up and run a VM. i have a VM running 10.1 and updating it is
no problem.

this is a wonderfull testing system to try new distros (like
new 10.1 beta 4 :-)

It's a great thing... even though, I haven't gotten much luck: SuSE
9.3 was fine (from DVD) - i.e. KDE and everything, but 10.1 beta 4
didn't give me graphical user interface. :-(
I also wanted to have Win98 for my son to run his old multimedia
CD-roms. Turns out that the user interface is stupidly slow and I need
to install VMware tools - which seems very easy. Just select "Install
VMware tools" from the meny and... well there is suddenly a Audio CD
present at the client Win98... which I do not think is what was
supposed to happen ;-)

Well, what does happen is that the installation of the vmware-tools in a guest is done by hooking a iso-image with the drivers to the cdrom of the guest. The choice of this iso image is based on the selected OS in the options of the guest. Hence check that.

If the guest is created without any cdrom, better to give it one, you can remove it later if needed.

If the guest does see the image but it sees it not as a mountable disk, then the iso-image can be wrong. Try other testing with it. On the other hand, get a copy of any other VMWare product (except player) like workstation, either create the guest in there or fetch the iso-imate from that installation and use that.

If the cdrom is visible but the installer does not start: open the cdrom in the explorer and select the installer you see there.

CBee

But, once they iron the bugs out of the beta, I think it is a great
product which has just about the right number of features to make it
usefull and still wonder if I should buy a license for another product
from them.

--
HG.