--- Martin Schlander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I believe the standard oss installation source
> (freeze of factory) will be on
> openSUSE mirrors. And Extra, KDE-update, Misc, etc.
> will be on ftp.suse.com-mirrors. I agree that it
> would be nice to have inst-source on
> ftp.suse.com-mirrors too.
>
> Guess it's a matter of how much the mirror-people
> will put up with.

I highly doubt that, as I've been using SUSE since 6.x
days, and everything has always been in one place, as
it should be, until 10.0. SUSE OSS could have been
nothing more than links to the appropriate parts of
the suse directory tree. Looking at
ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/suse/i386 one can see
that directories exist for 9.0, and 9.1. 9.0 should be
past security support by now, and 9.1 soon to follow.
If 9.0 were removed from the mirrors, there would be
more than enough room for the inst-source tree for
10.1.

ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/ has both the suse tree, and
opensuse tree. They certainly couldn't object to
having the inst-source tree moved to the suse tree
once it's finalized. OpenSUSE should be reserved for
working on the next SUSE release, and the
finished/finalized product should be moved to the
suse.com mirrors, to avoid any confusion.

> But Debian doesn't seem to have problems with
mirrors > and with their 14 cds and god knows how many

> architectures and many netinstalls they must wreck
> havoc on mirrors.
>
> And by the way - Guru and Packman are working on a
> merger. That'll make things
> a little bit simpler.

At least that makes sense.

--