Christoph Thiel wrote:
On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Ciaran Farrell wrote:

openSUSE has just been accepted at Google Summer of Code 2006!
We are now looking for ideas, proposals, projects, etc. around openSUSE and SUSE Linux, that could be worked on in Google Summer of Code. As the period of application for SoC is already very short, we need to get our proposals for project online May 1st, 2006, at the latest.

So, for example, if you are missing a certain YaST module, or a special feature in the distribution, speak up now!

Our proposals will be publish on http://en.opensuse.org/SoC2006 shortly.
I'm not sure how easy or difficult this is, but how about a YaST module (either a new one, or integrated into firewall etc) to help people (parents, schools etc) set up child filters for internet browsing and e-mail. I'm told that this currently involves quite a bit of fooling around with squid-proxy and postfix, which makes it (and consequently SUSE) unattractive for at least one market segment

That seems to make a lot of sense to me. I'll add it to http://en.opensuse.org/Summer_of_Code_2006

For that matter, I'd love to see a YaST module for configuring SUSE Linux to act as a terminal server (like LTSP, e.g.).

Regards
        Christoph

Me too Christoph.
Because that is software project. Protecting kinds from Internet danger is project for parents that are sitting next to them and telling this is good, this is bad. Yet another filter would not help, as present options are not used.

Whoever is talking about them hasn't tried to think what that filters should do and how to explain to machine (program) what is appropriate.
Filters should protect kids from exactly what?

Who will define what is appropriate?
If you ask a whole city for an opinion than you can set all as forbidden, except phone book, and that after all inappropriate names are removed.

Idea to make filter that will replace mom, dad and teacher is pointless, because nobody knows what they would like to be allowed and what not.

Now we can change idea of universal filter to mom/dad configurable.
I would like to see parents in action :-)

Right now you have bunch of applications that allow email and web sites filtering, and how many people use that funcianality? If parents and teacher have no time to sit next to the kids, when they going to find time to learn how to use and program filters. Even if there are some of them ready to do that, what would be the point, to make parents busy with computer instead of kids.

The Internet is today very similar to normal life. It is easy to get out of the home and walk in the forest. The hard part is when you meet a hungry wolf how to get rid of him. Now, who's responsibility is keeping kids far from a forest until they would be able to defend themselves? Parents or some company that makes software. If you are responsible parent would you let some software company to tell your kids what they can look? The problem is not the software, but Internet content, and expert for software is not automatically expert for content.

Mom and dad are experts for that.

--
Regards,
Rajko.