I've given up on trying to make a nvidia fx5500 work with Suse 10.0,
can't even get it to complete installation using the graphics installer,
and can't get it to start X even when using fx86config to try and set up
a basic.

What other video card chipset has a good driver support with suse? There
was an ATI Radeon something there, but I recall ATI has had a reputation
for poor support. Has this improved? (My wife dropped by the shop on a
trip into town but can't remember the exact model).

Well... from long experience with SUSE and nVidia and ATI video cards,
I'll never willing use an ATI card.  They are a total nightmare.  I'd
highly recommend nVidia again despite your problems.  I've had a
5200FX working very nicely in SUSE for several years, and have
recently and very painlessly upgraded to an nVidia 6600GT.

I've also recently had an ATI9250, and while I was able to get it to
work, it never worked properly.

If you need soem help setting up your existing nVidia card, just
ask... there's loads of us on the list here that use nVidia and are
very pleased with the results... and with how easy it usualy is to set
up.

C.