On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 14:54 +0200, jdd wrote:
> Marcus Meissner wrote:
>
> > If a kernel module is not recompiled in time for a kABI changing update,
> > the previous version is tried.
>
> the basic problem is that when a new kernel is installed,
> the old module don't works anymore (vmware, for example)
>
> If I understand well, in such a case the old module is
> tested to see if in runs ?

But it won't even install because the kernel version<> module version.
Which was the point to my previous question about why a driver cannot be
used with a newer kernel version. The 2.6 kernel is still the 2.6 kernel
even if it has .3-5 or .3-55 at the end. If someone writes a driver for
the 2.6 kernel it should work no matter what revision level the kernel
goes to. But then I am not a programmer only a frustrated user.

--
Ken Schneider
UNIX  since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE  since 1998