My Memorex is internal; though I'd be surprised if there was a difference
between the two, short of the external enclosure.

I'm loading 10.1 (i386) on a system right now, I'll do a test burn on that.
It has a different drive manufacturer.  I don't remember which one; it's
down stairs doing the install as I type and I'm far too lazy to walk down
there and pull the cover off to look.

-Alain