Op zaterdag 3 juni 2006 15:45, schreef Pascal Bleser:
> > The idea behind this is to be able to add a channel using the command:
> > smart --install channel-<whatever name>
>
> It's even easier to provide .channel files somewhere (like the .repo
> files in the Build Service), and just do
>
> smart channel --add http://......../guru.channel
> smart channel --add http://......../packman.channel

Not sure whether this is easier from a user perspective.  In your case the
user needs to remember the url pointing to the channel repository.  In my
proposal it is not needed to remember this.  One could for example use
smart's functionality to find the channel rpm.  Once the correct rpm
(providing the desired channel), just execute 'smart install channel-<name>'.
Or the more lazy type of user could execute 'smart install '*<name>*.' and
have the channel installed that way.  The only requirement is to have all
channel rpms in a common place.  Just like the rpmkey rpms that I maintain at
the moment.

Your proposal just a *.channel repository is easier from a packager
perspective, as there is not rpm needed.
The advantage of having the channel files in an rpm, is that those gets
updated automatically when the corresponding channel file gets updated.  This
is the same for the rpmkey rpms.

The best place to host those channel rpms are of course suse itself as they
get than mirrored automatically.  But as you already stated that might not be
possible due to law implications.

I think that the buildserver could build/create a channel rpm for each project
and have those stored in a central place.  This would be a good start.

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless