Onsdag 28 juni 2006 09:08 skrev jdd:
>  From  http://reverendted.wordpress.com/
>
> A colleague of mine and I just ordered 7,500 DVD's copies of
> the 10.1 release of openSUSE. Novell does hand them out
> freely, but mostly at events. We also make openSUSE freely
> available for download from openSUSE.org.
>
> we definitively need to rethink the SUSE Linux versus
> opensuse linux naming...
>
> (TED is a Provo SE)

I've pretty much given up - how can we explain the difference between SUSE
Linux and openSUSE to people, when even top Novell marketing guys like Ted
Haeger refuse to use the correct names?

Is it a problem? I think so.

- It's simply not correct.
- It causes SUSE Linux questions to appear on the opensuse-malinglist,
irc-channel etc..
- It results in people not knowing what the opensuse-project is about, since
people think it's just a distro - and thus the message of the community built
distro gets lost.
- It feeds the confusion and numerous misconceptions:
"opensuse is non-novell suse"
"opensuse is the free (as in beer) version, that's different from the retail
version"
"opensuse is a non-oss version, that's different from the  retail version
that's filled with closed stuff"
etc.

Either we should just give in and call the distro OpenSUSE officially - or
someone should tell Michael Meeks, Ted Haeger and more what the hell the
correct name for the distro is, that they're promoting.

At least Greg Mancusi-Ungaro seems to get it right..

Martin / cb400f