I love the new 10.1, i got the highest end nvidia just for it, and compiz kicks
ass.
Here is my problem,
I have no preference between KDE and Gnome as long as they can do the basic
stuff i need,
and with alot of mono stuff i do, gnome is the better choice,
but i have been a kde user up until now.

One thing i use with KDE that i really NEED is window placement,
i have dual monitor set up, and popups just some up smack dab in the middle of
the
frame borders between the monitors, in KDE i could go into advanced settings
and alter this, by specifing the it remember the position.
Also i use slickedit and want its windows to be arranged specifically to when
they come up.

Now i love compiz/gnome but i can't figure out in gnome how to get this simple
feature?
i went to KDE/compiz, but compiz (when started) removes the menu (on the window
frames)
that allows the selection of advanced options.

So have i really lost this important feature by now having jumped to compiz?
i have googled and found nothing about this, probably because compiz is so new.

Would it be hard to add to gnome, something that just said, hey check this
app-name
window title against a list, and if its there place it at a certain position
and size on the
screen?

My system is  a tyan dual opteron with 9GB a RAM
and one thing i am finding is that compiz crashes 1-2 times a day, so i have a
window
that just issues
compiz --replace gconf
and this little annoyance actually hardly bothers me, i am thinking since
386-x64 is a
pretty rare platform still, that it will not be a reliable as 386-32?
I also find amarok crashes just about everytime i do something to it,
i.e. about 50 times a day, but its an immediate restart and it doesn't do it
again
(immediately anyways).
Since i jumped to 10.1 (compiz) and dual opteron at the same time, unfortunelty
i dont know what is more to blame.

I am going to buy SLED 10 anyways cause i want the legal mp3 stuff included.
I need to also figure out how to set up a chroot for mplayer (other media)
to still use win32.dll's for codec's. Any advise, links would be appreciated.
Man, for a non-techy user, linux would be a real bitch and a half to people
running new amd 64bit systems, if they need wmv support :(

My beef about SUSE is the people griping about package management slowness ...
i mean, how many times do you update packages, and can one not multitask?
i think before people pick on something that might have them waiting 1/2 hour?
for an entire
year? they might want to optimize their email experience that they use many
10's of times a day,
this whole "suse is crap because package managment takes an extra 1 min." is
just so idiotic.
.. just flip screens and do something else while you wait, or go grab a drink,
its not like
you have to do it alot! I am a developer,and i package manage about once per
day,
and i set it to do its thing, and them i am off doing something else - i can
multitask!!!

Plus if you really value your time that much, as i do, start by buying 9GB
RAM for your system, with all the time you save in a year by doing that simple
cheap task,
you can spend all the time you save, many many hours package-managing until
your hearts
content!!! :)

-tl