On Aug 11, 06 02:34:15 +0200, Martin Schröder wrote:

>    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
>    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
>    cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
>    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
>    distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
>    customarily used for software interchange; or,
> ----------------------------
>
> The boxed version comes without sources, so 3a doesn't doesn't apply
> and 3b must be followed.

Right. 3b we do.

> But the written offer is nowhere in the box, just a pointer to it on
> the web (and this pointer is in places where people normally don't
> look (bottom of the box, somewhere on some CD)).

An 'offer' and a 'pointer to an offer' do not make much difference to me.
And space on the box is scarce. We cannot put everything up front.

> To conform with the GPL, at least the text ...
> from > http://www.novell.com/products/suselinux/source_code.html or words to
> that effect _must_ be somewhere _in_ the box and should be on every
> media.

Your '_must_' appears to be your personal opinion, I guess.
(Telling people this prominently is not a bad idea, but not legally binding.)
The GPL does not require a specific form of offer.  For most of us, the
mere concept 'hey, it comes from opensuse.org, so I know where the sources
are' may be sufficent.  For myself, I know that a number of Source-DVD's
were shipped in order to fulfill the offer. So it actually works as is.

        cheers,
                Jw.

--
 o \  Juergen Weigert  paint it green! __/ _=======.=======_