>>> "T. Lodewick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 09/04/06 10:23 AM >>>
>I don't think nVidia will give you the complete sources of there
>drivers. if they would, the discussion on this list about the kernel,
>drivers, opensource and closed source would be over. but what you will
>get is only the source of the interface between kernel and driver, not
>the complete driver.
>
>the kernel is GPL-based. Novell respects the GPL - shouldn't we all do
>the same ? the nVidia-driver ( and the licence ) ( as a lot of drivers,
>not only from nvidia ) are not compatible with the GPL. as long as a)
>the kernel maintainers don't allow anything outside the GPL and b)
>companys like nVidia think they need closed source drivers there will
be
>no way to offer (nVidia-)drivers that aren't in conflict with licence.
>
>first thing is always the licence / the law. the point of view for the
>needs / the user is always the second. always one step behind the
first.

>with regards,
>JBScout aka Thomy

I see, and that's why Novell does not allow to host the interface module
on their server (which in fact would be the only thing that has to be
compiled for eatch and every kernel).

So the best solution will be to create an own repository with all the
drivers and interface modules inside, NOT hosted on a Novell Server.
Wouldn't make the driver legal in a point of view of the kernel
maintainer, but would be conveniant for the users, which in fact is an
important thing for the success of a distribution.

Dominique