jdd wrote:
> J Sloan a écrit :
>
>> You've got other problems there - one thing I've not seen in 12 years
>> of using
>> linux, is for linux to fail to print.
>
> Linux may be not, but CUPS, often. Not even the supported printers do
> print all the time.
>
> For example there was a parallel port problem with previous suse distros
> (when printer was switched off then on again)

So, maybe I'm just lucky to have access to good hardware then. All the
corporate environments I've worked in during the past decade tend to
have PS printers which are network attached, so that's no surprise, but
even my home printers have just worked - again, maybe I'm just lucky
that I buy hardware worthy of linux ;)

Now, I can imagine a scenario where you've done a kernel upgrade via
yast, perhaps unknowingly, and in order to print something the system
must load a module, which is no longer on the disk since the old kernel
and all its modules have been removed. That can and does cause odd
problems of the sort described - but the answer there is to only upgrade
the kernel on purpose, at a convenient time of your choosing.

Joe