> > If you're NFS-mounting the root filesystem, you need either different
> > areas per machine, or local disk for workspace, e.g. for /var.
>
> /var is not enough, you also need some client-writeable files in /etc
> and a writeable /media and /tmp (for X etc.).
> Our solution is a per-host writeable NFS mount for /var and /etc/local
> where we link all files from /etc to /etc/local that must be written
> by clients (this is special and requires some maintenance tools we
> developed for our distribution). /media is deployed as tmpfs which
> works fine. /dev is not a problem anymore since 10.1 now uses a tmpfs
> for /dev automatically.
> /tmp is a local disk partition.

Maybe you might be interested in LTSP, the "Linux Terminal Server Project"
[1]. They also use a single root filesystem mounted via NFS with a single
central configuration file. Files that needs to be writeable are in a small
symlinked ramdisk under /tmp.

I use LTSP for diskless X-Terminal-Clients since some years and it works like
a charm :-)

[1] http://ltsp.org

-  Davey