On Friday 10 November 2006 14:16, jdd wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have problem with dvd written by a friend of my wife. This
> is all non computer aware people, so I have little info.
>
> the dvd is a RW one. It's used to record tv show.
>
> when I have it, I can't read it nowhere in my home. two
> desktop readers and one windows computers don't read it (no
> error message, just try to read again and again)
>
> my 10.1 box sees the disk as empty... and allows to write on it
>
> I wonder is this was a multisession disk, but could not see
> it and I don't want to erase the disk trying
>
> this disk reads perfectly on the original writer
>
> any idea?
> thanks
> jdd

Sounds like possibly the DVD didn't get 'finalized' which makes it readable on
other devices.    Take it back to the friend and ask them about whether they
finalized it.

The original device (the recorder, which may be all they ever use) will always
be able to read it, finalized or not, so maybe they aren't aware of
finalizing.