I finally got around to upgrading from 9.3 to 10.0 and I'm having an issue I
hope someone can clear up for me. Festival stopped working, it complains
that /dev/dsp doesn't exist (and it's right, no /dev/dsp* files show up).

Now, I can do rcalsasound restart from root and /dev/dsp will magically
appear, but on a re-boot of the system, it disappears again.

Some googling around came up with one solution that seems to work,
adding the code below to the /etc/init.d/alsasound script in the start
section.

        if [ ! -c /dev/dsp ]; then
           mknod -m 0666 /dev/dsp c 14 3
           $0 restart
        fi

That seems like a kludge though, since it doesn't really address
whatever is really wrong. Is anyone aware of a better solution?

  Scott

--
Res ipsa loquitur
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier http://popfile.sourceforge.net/