Hi all,

I'm using SuSE 10.1 on a laptop, and I do a lot of presentations. I would like
to have both the LCD and the external (VGA) monitor output working
simultaneously all the time, or have an easy way to switch the external monitor
output on and off.

As a complication, my system currently crashes if I change video mode!

Here's what I have so far.

If I boot without an external monitor connected, and attempt to use the (BIOS
defined??) hot key sequence to toggle the external display, nothing happens.

If I boot with an external monitor connected, the external display is driven,
and the LCD panel is shut off. I can't use the hot-key sequence to reactivate
the panel (very irritating as the projector screen is usually behind me!)

On an older laptop by the same manufacturer (Toshiba) I found that if I booted
with the external display connected, but then disconnected it after GRUB had
done its thing, then plugged it back in after the login screen, then both
screens would be live. This doesn't happen on the newer machine.

Most recently, I used SaX to try to enable "DualHead" mode. That has been
partially successful. What I expected was two displays "side by side" with the
mouse running between them. What I got is both displays running (at different
resolutions) but showing identical output. Sounds good, right? Well only to a
point.

The problem with this arrangement is that if I boot with the external display
connected, all works great, but despite the amount of time I work in this mode,
I still use the system more without an external display connected. If I boot
without an external display, the LCD never powers up! So I can't see anything,
and I can't even try to logout or shutdown the system... I have to force it off
with the power switch (thank heavens for journaling file systems!)

Any suggestions?

TIA
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a
man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz