Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Saturday 18 November 2006 20:43, J Sloan wrote:
>> Well, fedora has always been bleeding edge, and redhat has always
>> denigrated it, saying that it's for hobbyists only. OTOH suse has
>> historically been perfectly suitable for corporate use, but novell does
>> encourage the use of sles instead, and so, unfortunately, they have also
>> made disparaging comments about opensuse and hobbyists.
>
> You haven't been around very long, have you. SLES was always the version
> intended for the enterprise (which is why the E stands for Enterprise). This
> isn't exactly new with Novell

I've probably been around longer than you.

Yes, we know that suse started offering an enterprise version IIRC during the
suse 7 days. However, they also continued to offer the reasonably priced
shrink wrapped suse versions, with support and documentation, and many
businesses used suse linux, just as many businesses used redhat before redhat
dumped their shrinkwrap userbase. I was one of the those who moved from redhat
to suse after the redhat 9 -> fedora debacle.

Joe