On 11/24/06, Mark Shuttleworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Novell's decision to go to great lengths to circumvent the patent
framework clearly articulated in the GPL has sent shockwaves through the
community.

Yes, we too are pissed about it. But most of us not probably
to the extent we'd be willing to let SUSE go anywhere.

If you are an OpenSUSE developer who is concerned about the
long term consequences of this pact, you may be interested in some of
the events happening next week as part of the Ubuntu Open Week:

I ran Kubuntu Edgy on few systems for a week. Was really
pleasantly surprised, altough few things really amazed me:
- It's a desktop system in year 2006 that does not ship with
 any sort of netfilter (firewall) rules by default. This is huge.
 We need to keep the image of Linux as a secure system!
 Even if no services are actually enabled attack vector is
 still considerably bigger. Packets make it all the way to the
 protocol stack (versus prerouting hook).
- Apt still does not support multiple architectures. There's
 no way around the fact that in 64bit Linux you just can't live
 without 32bit software (32bit nsplugins for kde, Firefox etc).
 That chroot thingy is really a kludge around this fact.

That, and there were few quality slippages such as update
system offering broken x11 packages. But hey, these things
happen. Anyway, will participate just out of curiosity.

--
// Janne